My Travel Pass Requirements

My Travel Pass is abolished for Malaysians traveling abroad. Foreigners are still required to apply for My Travel Pass to enter Malaysia.

My Travel Pass (MTP) is a travel approval issued by the Malaysia Immigration Department

NationalityEnter MalaysiaExit Malaysia
MalaysiansMTP Not RequiredMTP Not Required
ForeignersMTP RequiredMTP Not Required

My Travel Pass to Exit Malaysia

Effective 11 October 2021, My Travel Pass is abolished for Malaysians traveling overseas. Foreigners do not require approval to leave Malaysia.

If you need any assistance booking your flight, private car transfer to the airport, or pre-departure home PCR Test, please reach out to the Leisure Holidays Reservations Team via WhatsApp.

My Travel Pass to enter Malaysia

Non-Malaysians are required to apply for My Travel Pass to enter Malaysia. The process can take a few weeks to process. Please provide as much documentation as possible to avoid the application being rejected. An appeal letter in Bahasa Malaysia with strong and valid reasons to enter Malaysia is helpful in getting the application approved.

Malaysians are free to return home without any prior approval. The National Disaster Management Agency (NADMA) has removed the Letter of Undertaking (LOU) requirement since 01 May 2021.

Travelers (Malaysians and non-Malaysians) must undergo mandatory home quarantine or hotel quarantine for 7 nights for fully vaccinated and 10 nights for unvaccinated or uncomplete vaccination.

Effective 29 November 2021, Malaysia and Singapore has agreed on vaccinated travel lane (VTL) between Changi Airport and Kuala Lumpur International Airport. Travelers can travel between the two countries without quarantine but subject to Covid-19 tests. This is Malaysia’s first VTL.

Non-Malaysians Must Apply for My Travel Pass to Enter Malaysia
Non-Malaysians Must Apply for My Travel Pass to Enter Malaysia

My Travel Pass Pending Applications

If your My Travel Pass application has been pending for more than 14 days, or if you are struggling to get an approval, and you are currently in Malaysia, we recommend that make a visit to Jabatan Imigresen Malaysia (JIM) at Putrajaya.


Jabatan Imigresen Malaysia Putrajaya


  • Outdoor parking is available
  • Printing and photocopy service is available at the cafeteria of JIM building
  • Office is closed for lunch between 1pm and 2pm

Documents that you need to submit

  • My Travel Pass Application Email
  • Appeal letter stating your reasons you need to travel
  • Copy of Passport
  • Copy of Vaccination
  • Copy of Visa, if applicable
  • Copy of Employment letter
  • Phone and email contact
  • Any other documents to support your appeal.

Applicants with NXF2021 reference numbers for their My Travel Pass applications can use the drop off box at JIM to submit their appeal for approval.

Our customers have shared their My Travel Pass was approved (with valid reason) from within several hours to a few days after submitting their documents at Putrajaya.

Important – Regulations are constantly changing. We will update the content of this post as we learn of new procedures and changes from our own experience and sharing from our customers.


    • Hi Luke, My Travel Pass can take a few hours, up to weeks to approve. Please ensure you have provided all the necessary supporting documents.

      If you are in Malaysia and need to urgently travel, suggest you visit JIM in Putrajaya. Our customer visited them last Friday morning and got her MTP approved on Friday afternoon.

    • Do I need to make appointment with JIM for Travel Pass since I have already submitted my application since Sept 13 and until now still have not receive any reply from them.

      • Hi Evelyn, we have updated our blog post on the next steps for pending applications. Print out all your documents including your pending travel pass application plus enclosed an appeal letter with valid reason to travel. You will need to visit Putrajaya to submit your documents. We have customers that have done this, and they received their approval within hours to a few days.

  1. I’ve applied for travel pass almost a month now. I dont have any reply or response from Immigration of Malaysia. I’ve called and email many times but no reply n nobody answering the calls.
    I provided all required documents but nothing so far. I’ve got the invitation letter, Offer letter, Contract and all revelant documents for work. They just dont seem to bother. What should i do? Can i travel without my travel pass for work. My email

    • Hi Krishnakumaroo, we suggest that you print out all your documents including your pending travel pass application, write an appeal letter to JIM and drop off the documents at Putrajaya. We have updated our blog post on the next steps for pending applications.

  2. I am a Malaysian working in Saudi Arabia,
    1. Do I need a travel pass to enter Malaysia?
    2. I have a resident permit from Saudi Arabia, When I am in Malaysia,do I still need a Travel Pass going back to Saudi Arabia? If yes, can I apply online while being in Malaysia or do I need to go to the Immigration Dept.

    • Hi Terbinderjeet, Malaysians do not require Travel Pass to enter Malaysia.

      You do not need to apply for Travel Pass to exit Malaysia if you have a long-term pass abroad (PR residents, Resident Permits…etc).

  3. Hello, if MM2h pass holders, considered long term pass holders right, if he wants to go back to original country, he does not need to apply to exit but does he need to apply to come in to Malaysia again?

    • Hi Serene, that is correct. We highly encourage to get the re-entry travel pass approved before departing from Malaysia.

      • Hi..if i dont have long term pass is there other alternative to do long term pass in spore malaysia embassy there..cause my wife n children are malaysian i going back to see them any idea…

        • Hi Mohd Ridwan, are you a Malaysian working in Singapore? If yes, you should have a work permit, which is a long-term pass.

          If you are a Singaporean, you will need to apply for My Travel Pass to enter Malaysia.

  4. Hi i am Malaysian. Work permit holder in Singapore. Planning to go in November under PCA. Do I need to apply MyTravelPass before entering Malaysia and exit from Malaysia.

    • Hi Jothi, Malaysians do not need My Travel Pass to return home. If you are holding a long-term pass which includes resident or work permits, you are exempted from My Travel Pass. We recommend that you carry a letter from your current company as additional proof of employment overseas.

  5. Hi, I am a Non-Malaysian on a student pass in Malaysia. I have my son and husband on the dependent pass. Do we need to get the my travel pass for all three of us? If yes, then when should I apply for it? I plan on visiting my home country in November. Also, what supporting documents would I need to be submitting for all three of us? Thanks

    • Hi Saman, non-Malaysians are required to apply for My Travel Pass to enter Malaysia. Please apply as soon as possible as the process can take weeks. If the application is rejected, you will need to resubmit, and it take weeks again to process. There are travelers that have their application rejected multiple times due to insufficient documentation or the ability to provide a strong reason to enter Malaysia.

      We recommend that you submit as much documentation as possible to support the reason that you need to come to Malaysia including letter from the university, proof of relationship of your son and husband, etc.

  6. Iam in malaysia now on a work permit and Indian national
    It’s been long I visited my elderly parents can I go to JIM for approval for my travel to India and from India to MY??

    • Hi Indranee, foreigners don’t need approval to exit Malaysia. However, you will require My Travel Pass to re-enter Malaysia.

      You will need to apply for My Travel Pass online – If your application is pending pass the processing period or rejected, you can visit JIM to resubmit your documentation and an appeal letter.

  7. im Singaporean and my mom is at critical condition in hospital now.
    i got a scanned copy of letter from hospital indicated that my mom is under medical treatment and management by the hospital
    is the MyTravel Pass application all submit through email with copy of scanned documents?
    Thank you so much in advance.

  8. I’M MALAYSIAN.I I hv foreign worker who hv work permit want come back to work.They from thailand.They can enter through bukit kayu hitam or hv to go through klia1 or klia2.And quarintine need how many day.Also the cost for 1 foreigner worker is how much.

    • Hi Tay Kok Thye, as far as we know, Bukit Kayu Hitam is only open for transportation of goods between the two countries. Your worker will need to enter through KLIA or KLIA2. If he or she is fully vaccinated, quarantine will be 7 nights. Otherwise, quarantine will be 10 nights.

      Standard quarantine for non-Malaysian will be RM150 per day + RM500 PCR Test + RM2600 operational fee imposed by Government.

  9. Hi Eugene,
    I have an approval letter for entry in Malaysia from the expatriate services division of the immigration dept to take up a new job. Do I still need to complete the MY travel pass?

  10. Hello
    I am a Malaysian returning from Canada in Dec. I would like to apply for Home Quarantine in Ipoh. How do I continue my journey to Ipoh as I will arrive late and need to stay overnight in a hotel and continue my journey to Ipoh the next day by taxi/ETS train?

    • Hi Valerie, you can fly direct to Ipoh with Scoot if you transit in Singapore and purchase a ticket with Singapore Airlines.

      If you choose to arrive in KL, you can stay a night at KLIA transit hotel and exit the airport the next day. You will need to get an approval letter from the KKM officer to travel by public transport, but you will be wearing a pink tag, thus you might get some looks from the public. Alternatively, is to get a private PPE transporter to send you from KLIA to Ipoh, which our reservations team can help arrange.

  11. hi. I am non malaysian planning to return to penang (I have a place there) from uk via singapore airlines. so it should be via scoot direct to penang? and what are the operational charges you mentioned above? does it apply?


    • Hi Jim, you will fly from UK to Singapore with Singapore Airlines and from Singapore to Penang with Scoot. Please ensure you purchase the entire journey in one ticket to ensure that your baggage is tagged through from UK to Penang.

      The operational charges apply to non-Malaysians undergoing hotel quarantine. This fee will be abolished for arrivals effective 15 November 2021.

  12. Hi. I am foreigner who wish to enter Malaysia to attend graduation day in Malaysia. I have applied the letter of invitation but have not get any news about that, i check on website sitll in progress. Does it means that my application is rejected?

    • Hi Laksmi, the My Travel Pass process will take some time. If it is rejected, you will be notified by email.

  13. Hi, my brother who is now a Singaporean wants to come back to Malaysia to see the family on 3/12/2021 via VTL Singapore & Malaysia, does he need to apply MTP still? VTL flight is from Changi airport to KLIA, does that mean KLIA2 is not applicable?

    • Hi Grace, with VTL between Singapore and Malaysia, MTP is no longer required but covid test will still be required. Based on the last update, AirAsia wanted to participate in the VTL program, but details are still being finalized.

  14. Hi, my father passed away recently and I want to travel back to see my mom. I am Malaysian and my hubby & 2 kids are British. Will they be allowed in? I applied for MTP for them but no answer yet. Also, I did not see the appeal letter requirement on the site so I did not write it. I am also planning to bring my mom back to UK while we come home. Will she be allowed to travel?As for my family, apart from MTP, home quarantine application and PCR test is all that are needed, am I right?

    • Hi Constance, the appeal letter must be submitted at JIM in Putrajaya. Alternatively, you can use the Langkawi Travel Bubble to enter Malaysia. Tourist are required to stay 7 days in Langkawi before traveling to other parts of Malaysia. My Travel Pass is not required for Langkawi Travel Bubble.

      There are no restrictions for Malaysians to travel overseas. It now depends on other countries if they allow Malaysians to enter.

  15. What documents are required to be submitted when applying for My Travel Pass for my husband who is British . We are hoping to visit my Mum who is ill in hospital. His application has recently been rejected even though we felt we have submitted the relevant documents . Is the Malaysian government operating a quota system

    • Hi Mary, please submit supporting documents including a letter of hospital and an appeal letter written in Bahasa Melayu on the reasons why your husband needs to be here. Alternatively, you can make use of the Langkawi Travel Bubble. Your husband can enter as a tourist and stay in Langkawi for 7 days, before traveling to other parts of Malaysia. My Travel Pass is not required for Langkawi Travel Bubble.

  16. Hi I am a Malaysian and I have applied the travel pass for my husband who is a Canadian, I still have not heard from them as yet. I have my tickets booked to travel on the 10th of Dec. how do I contact the department on the status of the approval

    • Hi Alpana, you will need to submit documents and appeal letter to JIM in Putrajaya as highlighted in our blog post. Alternatively, your husband can use the Langkawi Travel Bubble to enter the country without My Travel Pass. He will be required to stay in Langkawi for 7 days before traveling to other parts of Malaysia. He can stay for a maximum of 3 months in Malaysia as a tourist.

      • Dear Eugene.

        I am looking travelling to Malaysia next year July. My husband and my children are holding British Passport and I am a Malaysian. Please could you kindly advise me how early could I apply for MTP for my husband and children ? I am already looking for the flight tickets but not sure it is advisable to book the travel now ? Puzzled here. Looking forward hearing from you.

        Thank you,

        • Hi Prasanna, travel restrictions are constantly changing. Recently, Malaysia has reopened Langkawi for international tourist, and we expect it to open to more areas soon. You might want to wait a bit since your travel is next year in July.

  17. Hi , Do Foreign worker (fully vaccinated) holding valid PLKS returning to Malaysia need to apply for MTP?

    • Hi Rachel, effective 01 November 2021, workers with Temporary Working Visit Pass (PLKS) are not required to apply for MTP.

  18. HI,
    Non-malaysians would not be in malaysia to appeal to MTP application, isnt? We have just submitted over the weekend, is approval cycle only based on working days?

    • Hi Esther, for appeal, it’s best to get a friend or family member to print the application and write an appeal letter in Bahasa Melayu before dropping off in Immigration Department in Putrajaya.

  19. Hi Eugene,
    I have a Resident Pass (RPT) and so does my Wife. She plans to visit UK from the 15th Dec and return back to Malaysia on 2nd Han 2022. Does he need an entry permit?

    • Hi Ranajit, effective 01 November 2021, holders of valid resident pass (PR-T) are allowed to travel to Malaysia without applying for My Travel Pass. This is based on current conditions, but rules are subject to change.

  20. Hi Eugene, I am Malaysian, but my husband and kid are Canadian. We received MTP and would like to travel to Malaysia via Langkawi Travel Bubble. Are we required to book tours via travel agency? Do we book our flight from Canada to KL, KL to Langkawi? Also how long is MTP valid for once approved? Thanks!

    • Hi Cathren, Langkawi Travel Bubble does not require MTP approval. You are required to book a tour package with a travel agency in Malaysia. For flights, it must be booked as Canada – KL – Langkawi in a single ticket to enable the baggage to be tagged through from Canada to Langkawi. MTP approval is valid for 60 / 90 days. Please check the validity date in your approval email.

      • hi Eugene,

        If I did not book the flight in a single ticket, will that be a problem? I have booked travel from USA – Singapore – KL last week. Can I book a separate ticket with Malaysia airlines for KL – Langkawi? Will they allow me to go through immigration and collect my baggage in KLIA, then continue another flight from KL – Langkawi? Thank you!

        • Hi Helen, you are not allowed to collect your baggage at KLIA. Best to check with the airline is they are willing to check your baggage through from USA to Langkawi. Otherwise you will need to get your ticket changed.

  21. Hi Eugene, my friend is a Malaysian and recently renounce her Singapore PR status. She is 75 years old and wants to go back to Ipoh for good. She bought a one-way ticket to Ipoh from Scoot, departing on 15th December 2021. Scoot sent her an email reminding her to apply for MYTRAVELPASS and complete the Letter of Undertaking before leaving. She planned to apply for Home Quarantine. Please advise is MTP and LOU a must for her.

  22. Hi Eugene, I’m Singaporean and which to go Malaysia together with my daughters thru VTL. Did I need to apply for My Travel Pass? If yes, what documents I need to submit? As my grandma had passed away, I wish to go back ASAP and yet received the death certificate yet.

    • Hi Pace, sorry to hear of your loss. You do not need MY Travel Pass for VTL. You will be given a short-term social visit pass.

  23. Hi Eugene,

    I have a relative applying for My Travel Pass from Australia to return to care for his mother in law who is sick. He is Australian. They submitted online already and response has been slow. I am thinking of helping him to print out and bring to JIM Putrajaya by hand, but when I called JIM, they said they do not have such a drop box that allows submission of hardcopy applications. But you say that some of your clients have had success with that? Is submitting by hardcopy not an officially recognized submission?

    • Hi Adrian, the drop box at JIM Putrajaya is for My Travel Pass appeal and not for applications. You will need to write an appeal letter is Bahasa Melayu and submit with a printout of the application together with supporting documents.

    • Hi Samuel, how long does it take to get your MTP approved? I have applied mine on 29 Nov and still awaiting for the approval.

  24. My MTP got rejected for reason of incomplete supporting documents.
    My wife LTSVP has expired. She is Chinese citizen, Singapore PR now in Singapore. What documents are needed? There are only 4 documents that can be uploaded in the website.

    • Hi Hugo, are you travelling together? If yes, please include the following in your application.

      Applicant 1 (Yourself)

      Document 1 – Passport (biodata page)
      Document 2 – Malaysian IC; front and back
      Document 3 – Vaccination certificate
      Document 4 – Flight ticket

      Applicant 2 (Wife)
      Document 1 – Passport (biodata page) and exit stamp.
      Document 2 – LTSVP appointment via STO and Letter of Appeal/Cover letter written by yourself (in Malay)
      Document 3 – Flight ticket
      Document 4 – Malaysian Marriage certificate and marriage photo
      Document 5 – Vaccination certificate

  25. My wife is still stuck at Hanoi and my baby more than 1 years old. We cant get married since MCO started in March of 2010.I apply for my travel pass since 24/11. However, it more than 1 months and I didn’t get any reply.

    • Hi Ong Chun Kit, MTP is taking a long time to process. Many travelers are using the Langkawi Travel Bubble as an alternative.

  26. Hallo, are you providing the service for dropping to the box? But my MTP is not starting from NXF2021. thanks

    • Hi Mary, we are not providing the service. We are sharing information to assist travelers as shared by our clients.

Leave A Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.