How to Apply International Driving Permit in Malaysia


Mario Kart in Japan sounds fun? Self-drive in Iceland or Hokkaido so that it’s easier to get from place to place due to lack of public transport? Before you can get behind the wheel and drive, you will first need to apply for an International Driving Permit (IDP). It’s quick and easy to apply.

How To Apply For International Driving Permit?

You will need to have a valid driving license with more than 1-year validity and prepare the following to apply theĀ International Driving Permit.

  1. Original MyKad
  2. One license size photograph (white background).
  3. Cash of RM150

Previously, we were required to fill in the JPJ L1 form plus photocopy of driving license and Mykad. This is no longer required.

Application can be made the nearest JPJ Office or UTC. You will receive the International Driving Permit within minutes.

I did mine in UTC Sentul on a Sunday. I arrive at 9.45am and got everything done before 10am. Amazingly fast!

Do I need an International Driving Permit to drive in overseas?

In ASEAN countries (Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Brunei, Malaysia, Indonesia, Singapore, Thailand, and the Philippines), you can rent and drive with our Malaysia driving license.

For other countries, we strongly recommend applying for the permit. In the unfortunate case of an accident, the last thing you want to be told is that you are driving illegally, or you are unable to claim insurance.

Most of us do not read the insurance clause, rental clause or when the clause is not in English. You would not want to be caught in such a situation when repair cost can be as high as buying a brand-new car.

What should I take note when driving overseas?

Always take note of the speed limit. Most countries are very strict and can be fined for speeding by just exceeding 1km/h. The fines are expensive. Do not offer a bribe unless you want to land in jail.

Importantly, buy a car rental insurance. Understand what it covers and how much you are liable in the event of an accident. It is best to buy the car rental insurance that waives all charges.

Some rental companies may charge extra if the driver is below 25 to 30 years old.

Leave A Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.